Thursday, July 11, 2013

Sharing a letter to Dad/Because according to his Dad, "He is one of a kind...Amazing!"

Hey Dad! 
Oh my gosh I am having the time of my life, seriously I can’t even begin to describe the peace and happiness that I feel every day when I wake up. Maybe it’s the mandatory 8 hours of sleep...hahaha

Dad I just wanted to say that I love you so much and that we are so coming back here when I finish my mission. This is the most incredible city in the world, though you might have to lower your standards of living a tiny bit hahaha. Dad I love it here, the people that I am teaching are truly the most humble people I have ever met. Imagine teaching people where we all have to sit on the concrete floor because they have no tables or seats besides a bucket, which the 76-year-old grandma is using. Dad the more and more I am studying the gospel the more and more I realize how incredible it really is. I realize how easy it was for me in the past to go along with the flow and really not think all that much about religion. The miracle of life itself is a testament of the love of our Heavenly Father, I am learning so much everyday of his overwhelming love. Someone emailed me and asked me, why does God allow such poverty to exist in the world where people are barely scraping by. 

I was able to think about this over the past few days and honestly I have such a firm belief in one cliché answer:

They are not the poorest people on this Earth; in fact those who have the most are normally the poorest. My view of poverty has changed immensely. The amount of love that I see here for everyone is absolutely incredible Dad they love everyone. If they leave their door open my companion and I start talking to them and they invite us in because they love us the moment they see us. The family’s here are so united its amazing. I really have been able to think that although some people have riches, they truly are dirt poor, because they are missing out on some of the most amazing experiences of life, laughing and enjoying life with your family little by little through the hard and easy. That is what a family is and I have seen that here more than I have ever seen in my life. 

It’s crazy how just a few weeks can change your perspective on life, granted it has a lot to do with the way I have been living these last few weeks but still, I look back on who I was just a month ago when I left and I see a scared boy with little understanding in what it means to live. I had a hard time writing that college essay because it was missing the truths of life, it was missing knowledge of what it means to live here in this life. I feel stronger than I have ever felt in my life, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically and I am ready to take on the world. Little by little I feel like I am doing just that.

I love my mission, it is changing the way I live and will change the way I live forever. I understand the meaning of time rather than money, which really is one of the biggest, challenges this world has to overcome. We live in a world where people think that the newest update is more important than an hour with your family and although I do love me an update, family and those people you love in your life are starting to have so much more importance to me. I don’t feel proud when I say this, but it’s true; I know the meaning to life. Through the Gospel I have found what it means to live, what it means to have a family, what it means to hold close those people in your life that truly make a difference in who you are.

I’m sure you are going to tear apart my grammar and spelling, ha-ha my English really is starting to move downhill quick, my Spanish is slowly getting better, my phone conversations are getting better unless I’m talking with an Argentine, hahaha 

I love you so much Dad
I just wanted to share with you some of my experiences that aren’t purely physical 

Love you to the moon and back 
Your Son

No comments:

Post a Comment