Monday, September 29, 2014

Luau got me Crazy

There is no time to just relax on the mission if you do it right. 
Honestly when you are on a mission you run, and run, and then run some more until you run to your house say your prayers jump into bed and sleep. Only to wake up again in the morning to do it all over again. 
I LOVE IT!
This week I planned a Luau for the branch here in Buenaventura.
It was absolutely epic. So much fun
In my mission I’ve had to deal with a lot of cooking things, it’s a very good thing that my mom taught me how to handle that department. 15 days ago we started a program in the mission called pensionists. It’s where we have a sister that we’ve chosen and we pay her money so that she can make the missionaries all their food; breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

Because Buenaventura is the first place in all of Colombia to start this program and it’s so far away from the mission home, I’m in charge of setting up the whole plan. It’s intense; I made the menu for the last 2 weeks with them, shopped with them, and taught them how to prepare the foods that they had never heard of before such as spaghetti and meatballs. 
So that’s been seriously draining these last few weeks, ahahaha.

I also was in charge of the food for the Luau. So what did I do? I made 10 pounds of rice, cooked 10 pounds of macaroni and made Hawaiian mac salad with rice for 80 people. I surprise myself sometimes. 
THANK YOU MOM!

All day Thursday I was cooking, booking the building, and planning when the people got there and although the night was pretty hectic it was awesome. It was a Luau-Talent show. There were a lot of acts including an act prepared by the missionaries. I had taught the entire zone the synchronized swimming act and we did it. SO FLIPPIN AWESOME! Hahaha
All week we had been practicing in front of the chapel with our bet mattresses throwing ourselves around. If you don’t know what the synchronized swimming act is type it into youtube. It was so much fun. We had a great time at Luau. It turned out great, the food was good, the activity was awesome, and it was exactly what Buenaventura needed. The last activity they had as a branch was last year. 
So I don’t know about you guys but I am PUMPED for this weekend!!
Why you may ask, well… 
IT'S GENERAL CONFERENCE
I LOVE GENERAL CONFERENCE
I wait impatiently every 6 months for General Conference and it’s finally here! It’s our only opportunity to hear directly from the Prophet and the 12 Apostles. Prophets? Apostles? Why do we still have those? Weren’t prophets from olden times? 
God is the same yesterday, today and forever. Why would he call prophets in the bible and not now. If you ask me we need a prophet today more than any other time, somebody to guide the family to show exactly what kind of plan God has for us and what he needs us to do. In the Old Testament in the book of Amos there is a very interesting scripture that talks about prophets:
Amos 3:7 
Surely the Lord god will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

Here we see that God won’t do anything if he doesn’t call prophets. Our Heavenly Father is a God of action. He doesn’t just sit and watch the evil in the world, what kind of parent would be able to watch their children suffer? 
He calls prophets to guide us and there is a prophet today and there will always be a prophet here on the earth to guide us. Also why apostles? In the book of Ephesians it shows us exactly how Jesus Christ established his church, so if Jesus Christ established His church in one way, why should we change it?
The church of Christ must be:
Ephesians 2:20-21
And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

I invite you all to see General Conference this week. You can find the link and watch it live at LDS.org
I know that this is the church of Jesus Christ. 
This is his church. Christ is who is at it’s head, with his prophet acting for him and telling us what he wants us to do just as He did in ancient times.
God loves us and want us to succeed. 

I love you all 
Have a good Conference.

Elder Lyle

No comments:

Post a Comment