Monday, November 18, 2013

MUD...

All right so P-DAY
We play soccer, soccer and more soccer. But to be completely honest I love soccer now, who would have ever guess, ha-ha. 

My area is HUGE, like massive, like HUUUUGELY massive. I have about 200 square km of houses alone that I am teaching. Everything is super spread out here.  We need to plan everything really well so that we get a good day in. 

It rains all the time here, and it is super, I mean super, super cold. I bought gloves and a scarf, who would have ever guessed that I would be the person to buy a scarf.... well I did okay.  And you know what? I love my scarf because it keeps me warm at 10,000 feet.  

The other day we were heading off to almuerzo (lunch) when my companion told me, “hey I think there is a short cut through here", we are always looking for a short cut because where we were going was like 45 minutes walking to this house. So we headed off in search of the shortcut. Well we found it. It was raining, of course, it always rains. The shortcut was down the side of a mountain, dirt now mud track and was super steep. 
SO, what did we do? 
WE WENT FOR IT. 
AND I fell, ha-ha, of course. 
And I didn’t stop sliding until I reached the bottom. My umbrella upside down sliding behind me. My companion attempted to stop me but then he started to slide down standing up.  But it’s all good. I was just covered in mud from head to toe. My face was black and the first thing my companion said to me was. 
“Well at least the people don’t think you’re a gringo anymore.” Ha-ha
We have a good time together. 

 The other missionaries had baptisms on Saturday. It was crazy cause they sent us to fill the baptismal font. You can’t baptize with cold water here in Ipiales or the people turn into popsicles. So Elder Tidei and I frantically tried turning on the heater. However we had no idea how to do it. We somehow had to light the gas that was inside a locked box to which we did not have the key.
We finally found the key and turned on the gas. However the stupid thing didn’t want to light. 
I’m really surprised that we didn’t blow the place up, as the gas ran for like 15 minutes straight without being lit. We finally lit the gas and ran for our lives.

The baptisms were super cool. Although afterwards the President of the Branch came up to tell as that all the missionaries have talks tomorrow, ha-ha oh man
I LOVE THE MISSIONARY LIFE. 

So lately I’m dealing with some serious English/Spanish problems. I stutter in English now. I need to practice my English but I feel really awkward doing it. Talking is super hard for me in English. I have no idea why. It’s kind of making me feel more alone because the people here don’t understand my Spanish or Elder Tidei’s. They speak really weird here. 
SO

For my spiritual thought of the week:

I want to start with an investigator I’m helping right now. His name is SaĆ¹l. I’m helping him and his family. His wife asked us to come and help him. He says he wants help, but really he doesn’t. 
Saul is a drug addict. He drinks way too much. He is on house arrest but in the last week escaped twice and went missing for 2 days at a time. It’s really hard for the family. We have been helping him with his problem but the truth is, is that he thinks he can do this alone and that he doesn’t need God.  

 Moroni in the book of Mormon realized that really we are nothing without the strength of the Lord:
“I have but the strength of a man”

 A prophet in ancient times told his people:
“Cry unto the Lord for strength”

We do not always have the strength to accomplish all things,
 That is why we ask of the Lord to help us. 

The situations around us will not change. That is a fact. However the strength in which we have within us can change so we can rise up above our challenges. 

Like Nephi; 
His brothers tied him up and told him that he had no power over his older brothers.

16: And it came to pass that when I, Nephi, had spoken these words unto my brethren, they were angry with me, for behold, they were exceedingly wroth, and they did bind me with cords, for they sought to take away my life, that they might leave me in the wilderness to be devoured by wild beasts.
17: But it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound.
18: And it came to pass that when I had said these words, behold, the bands were loosed from off my hands and feet, and I stood before my brethren, and I spake unto them again.

Something is very important in this story in that he prayed for the strength to break the bonds not the bonds should be loosened. He did not look for the easy way out. He looked for the strength in the Lord. 

We must act on faith, ask of the Lord for strength and face our problems in order to overcome them.

The situations normally do not change. 
We do. 
We adapt and grow to meet the challenge. 

Challenge:

Think of one thing that you have in your life that is challenging.
This week pray for strength and face the problem. 
Rise above the challenges.
We have so much potential.
SIEZE YOUR OPPORTUNITY!

I love you all
Elder Lyle

No comments:

Post a Comment