Monday, May 12, 2014

Over the River & through the Jungle

Every week passes by so quickly. I’m keeping busy that’s for sure. This week started off crazy with our trip to a little mountain village called Peon. An experience that I personally will never forget. Early in the morning we all got ready and met together at Abner’s house. 6 missionaries, Gustavo & Abner. At 8 we started for the mountains. We thought it was 1 ½ hours away however 2 ½ hours later after trudging through thick clay that stuck to the bottom of our dress shoes, marching across rolling hills in the blazing sun and the climbing the side of mountainous rainforest we arrived at the first house. Peon is a small community of people who really don’t have very much. They live in the middle of no-where.

Gustavo and I entered the first house, and had an experience I will never forget.
The lady’s name is Gloria. She is a super nice lady with eight children. My first look at the house initially shocked me. Three of the 8 children have physical problems, Christian (11), Sebastian (14) & Juan (1). When I walked into the house I saw 2 kids on the ground folded into awkward positions lying on the dirt floor they were convulsing constantly and were so frail I wouldn’t have guessed that any one of them was over the age of 8. We taught Gloria and she was super receptive to our message. Then her husband walked in and we talked to him. The whole time I couldn’t keep my eyes off the 2 boys lying on the ground. When we finished I was compelled to ask if I could bless their children. They said yes. When Christian heard this he made his way over to where I was seated. He was on all fours, as he cannot stand up and extended his twitching hand. I pulled him up into my lap and gave him a priesthood blessing. When I finished the blessing he had stopped convulsing and was completely still. He looked up and smiled at me and I honestly had my eyes opened for a moment as I saw the love that God had for each and every one of us. It was a feeling so incredibly intense it was as if you could touch it. I don’t know how to explain how I felt in other words besides complete and utter love for every living being. An experience that I will never forget, nor will his parents ever forget as they watched their son stop seizing. Every missionary had his own incredible experience in Peon. It was such an amazing experience; I will never forget that day. It was 2 ½ hours one-way through rolling hills and the jungle in our dress clothes and completely worth it.

There are amazing things happening here in Jamundi.

We have the authority from God to act in the name of Jesus Christ. This authority is called the Priesthood. The priesthood has existed since the days of Adam here on earth. Ever since the authority was given to man. It has been passed on by something called the laying on of hands. When Jesus Christ called his 12 Apostles He “gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases and he sent them to preach the Kingdom of God, and to heal the sick” Luke 9:1-2. They received this authority in the same way the Apostles gave it to Saul and Barnabas see Acts 13:3.


We have the same authority of God. Those who have laid their hands on my head had the authority because someone else laid their hands on their heads who also had the authority. I can trace my line of authority all the way back to Jesus Christ. 
In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints we have the authority to work miracles and to baptize. It is the same authority that the apostles had and I testify that by the same power we are sealed together as families for eternity in the temples of God. Without question this authority to be sealed is not until death do us part but it is for time and all eternity. I am grateful for eternal families and the hope they give to my family.

Love
Elder Rawly Lyle

No comments:

Post a Comment