Sunday, January 4, 2015

My Father

This week I wanted to talk about my father.

I have so many memories of him and I think that this date will always be a bit difficult. My father was a truly amazing person. I love him so much, and I am so grateful that one-day I will be with him once again. He was an example beyond comparison in my life. As the scripture says: John 5:19
“The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.”

My father taught me many things that I will always remember. I learned from him diligence, hard work, love, trust, dedication, how to be honest and always follow through with my promises. 
These skills I will have to continue to develop, however he has shown me by example how I can do it. 
I love my father, he was always there to comfort me and to give me advice, he was my biggest fan and critic. He is the one that always helped me to push myself. 
There are memories that I have of him that will never fade away, such as his laugh, and the way he would yell encouragement during our sports activities. He was always there to support us. 
In the majority of my mission areas that I have been in the thing that is almost always missing from the home pictures is the father, or a fatherly example. 
Here in my mission I have come to appreciate my father so much more as I see family after family that consists of the mother and children fighting to survive. I have learned that the family "is ordained of God" and that the “husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children”. (The Family: A Proclamation to the World). 
Here I have understood and appreciated how incredible my childhood was as I was surrounded almost constantly with the love of my mother and father. I know that with the passing of my father nothing will change, as although he may not be here with us currently, God did not send us here to this life just to be separated upon death. When done with the correct authority the bonds of "until death do us part" are shattered so as to allow the family to be together "For time and all eternity". What incredible blessings. Here on my mission I have taught a lot that we should always have our eye set on returning to our Heavenly Father again. That just as we want to be with our loved ones when they are no longer here, we will have the same desire when we fully understand God’s plan after this life. That all that we do in this life is to fulfill this plan, and to return to Him. He loves us and wants us to live with Him once more. He has given us the example, he shows endless love, what have we shown or done for Him recently?
I have purpose in this life. I do all that I can so that I may better be prepared when the day comes that my family will be together forever. As my mom says I want a "forever family" and the only way do have that is to do exactly what God has commanded me to do, and live the commandments. To love my God over all other things, to love my neighbor as I love myself, and to participate in all the ordinances of the gospel. 
My father was a great man, and I know that he is here with me always. I know that we will be together forever. 
I always ask myself “How well am I obeying the things that my Heavenly Father has told me to do?”
Follow the teachings of your Father and live (Proverbs 4:1-4) 

I love you all, I am so grateful for the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, and all that my Heavenly Father has to offer us. 
I know that the church is true, and that Jesus is who heads it. I know that we have the authority to have a family for "Time and all Eternity" and not "until death do us part."

Challenge:
Think and right down all the things and qualities your Heavenly Father has shown you that you want to implement in your life this year.
I love you all. 
Have a great week
Elder Lyle



No comments:

Post a Comment